Redneck Hillbilly Search

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I love my AUSSIE

On the Zazzle board yesterday there was a request for Australian Shepherd items by a shopkeeper who was going to be putting together a squidoo lens. I don't know a whole lot about squidoo, and have never looked at the site long enough to attempt putting one together, but I do submit my products for inclusion wherever they will fit.

Many hours later, it has dawned on me that I should make a blog post about Aussies since they are really special dogs. 

I have posted countless photos of my dear sweet Blue, a purebred Australian Shepherd in the black tricolor pattern. Instead of plugging up this blog post with my own stuff this time around I thought I would show you some of my favorite aussie dog items that I've come across so far.  Aussies come in four standard color patterns. Black Tricolor (like my Blue) Red Tricolor, Blue Merle, and Red Merle. Black Tris are usually predominantly black, with gold and white accents. Red Tri's are mostly a red brown color. The merles are blotchy messy spots everywhere, sometimes with blue eyes. I'll try to find examples of each.




This photo below shows the quirky personalites of Australian Shepherds. Hundreds of different expressions convey all sorts of messages. People aren't kidding when they say these are one of the smartest breeds of dog! Sometimes they are playful, sometimes they are questioning, sometimes they are stubborn - I'm not sure exactly what this dog here is thinking, but I bet it's surprise!




The neatest thing about Aussies is that they really do look like they're smiling. There's something about the jowls and the jaw, the teeth - their happy sunshine attitude comes through and makes YOU smile.






These dogs are usually high energy, and have a very strong herding drive - if they don't have animals to corral, they WILL herd your children! They need to be discouraged from nipping at pant legs and heels, which is instinctive for them, since they would nip the hooves of sheep.




Of course, when they are done for the day and tuckered out, they do know how to rest.





and when they're done resting, they are really good at sleeping. Our Blue could sleep 20 hrs a day. She's REALLY good at it. Her official title is "couch warmer".  One of these days I'm going to get a photo of her sprawled out like she owns the place, with her feet in the air and her belly exposed!

Our two dogs are like kids in many ways. So when I saw this t-shirt, I liked it right away and had to include it here for you to see.


Australian Shepherd Mom 2 shirt


Looking at all of these fantastic designs, I'm inspired to create a few more of my own! Check back later to see what I come up with!