Redneck Hillbilly Search

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fishing Derby

We attended the Greg Clark Memorial annual northern pike minnow fishing derby on Father's Day weekend.
Mr. RedneckHillbillies and the Little Kidlet have gone for a few years now and always do well between the ticket draws and catch prizes.

This was the first year that I tagged along for the experience. Let me start off by saying that I have not fished since I was about kneehigh to a grasshopper. Ten, to be exact. So I was just happy to be out on the boat on the water, and learn how to cast the stupid fishing rod without tangling it all up. Once I got the hang of it, I got some much needed practice tying and retying and untying multiple different types of spoons and lures, bobbers and floats, and skewering wiggly worms on the end of a rusty hook.

The Mr. caught a beautiful trout which wriggled free before I could snap a photo. Sad, since that was the very first catch on the boat. Anyhow, with that first fish, the boat has been christened now, and the skunked curse has been lifted! :D

I snapped a few photos while there, some for our own photo CDs, and others for Zazzle.

Here's a couple items I put together this past week.



A cute little JRT x Tibetan spaniel named "Shiraz".




a bunch of smelly fish






and I still might try to work with a couple shots of boats and anchors later this week.

(oh, and btw - we didn't catch a single pike minnow which was the target fish. BUT the kids tickets both won us prizes. We ended up with two rods and reels, two salmon society reusuable shopping bags, a t-shirt, a pack of hockey cards, and a 10$ gift certificate to a steakhouse restaurant!)