Redneck Hillbilly Search

Friday, June 18, 2010

All little girls love horses

At least I did.

I remember a few glorious happy afternoons as a child visiting an Uncle with my Dad and seeing the stables where he worked. Ah, how I long for those simple days now. The childhood game of making wishes on white horses, as we drove hither and thither around the countryside.




The two weeks at a summer camp where we got to ride twice a day was pure heaven. The smell of leather saddles, hay and horse sweat still imprinted in my memories.

I haven't ridden a horse in well over twenty years, and since I didn't ride especially well back then I should probably stay far from these beautiful and powerful animals these days.

Visiting them from safely outside a fenced pasture is about as close as I'll get now. We live just around the corner from a number of horse owners, and a neighbourhood that is horse-friendly so we often see people out for a ride on a sunny day or trailering their animals. We ride our motorized horses of chrome through acres of trails used by equestrian fanatics. (they looove that)

A few weeks ago Kidlet and I went for a walk to see a small group of very friendly horses where I snapped these photos. I'll have to do it again soon. The quiet time with the daughter, the fresh air and exercise that we all need, and the awe and magic inspired by a gentle horse nuzzling out of your hand does the soul good.


White Horse in Rural Countryside Photo Album binder
White Horse in Rural Countryside Photo Album by CountryCorner
Get a ring binder on Zazzle

The Wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb